DIY Make Your Own Laundry Detergent



Ok so I know what all of you are saying...."make your own laundry detergent?!? Why not just buy it at the store" Well, first of all, they can get expensive (unless you are an extreme couponer and end up getting them for free which I would love to do that if someone can show me how or give me your coupons!)

I have been tossing around the idea of doing it so I hunted down some information and recipes and I found this great site that gives you instructions if you would like to make a liquid detergent or powdered detergent. (http://www.southernsavers.com/2013/01/recipes-for-homemade-laundry-detergent/)

I also like the fact that it breaks down prices of the ingredients vs the store bought detergent which ends up to be a lot cheaper! This is the break down...

Fels-Naptha Soap Bar, $1.19 (~1 cup)
20 Mule Team Borax, 76 oz, $4.39 (~9.5 cups) = 46¢ per cup
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, 55 oz, $3.19 (~7 cups) = 45¢ per cup

To calculate the per load price, I just added up the cost of the ingredients and divided by the number of loads.

Powdered Detergent: 5.26¢ per load
Liquid Detergent: 1.32¢ per load

Depending what you choose, the cost is between 1 and 5¢ per load! As we have seen, store bought detergent prices ranges from 4¢-20¢ per load with coupons & sales.

These prices are from Publix which is a grocery store that is not located in my area since I am in New York but keep in mind that the prices may be different in your area.

Once I will make a batch, I will let you know the outcome. If you decide to make your own, let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment