Glass Cutting Made Simple!


My husband and I have been married for 5 years and for 5 years I have been wanting to take our favor which was a bottle of wine and make a candle holder out of the empty bottle. Life got in the way and I have forgotten about it until today! I came across this great site and I thought I would share it with everyone. It is step by step instructions on how to cut glass.

The steps are...
  1. Fill your sink with cold water.
  2. Wrap yarn around the bottle 5-6 times.  Use yarn instead of string.  Because of its fluffy fibers, it's more flammable than string.
  3. Snip the ends of the yarn off.
  4. Slip the yarn off the bottle, and dip it in fingernail polish remover.  Saturate it well.
  5. Slip the yarn back on the neck of the bottle in the place you want to cut the glass.  Position in the right spot.
  6. With a match or lighter, light the yarn on fire.  Rotate the bottle while its burning to evenly burn the bottle and heat the glass.
  7. After about 20-25 seconds, dunk the bottle in the cold water to break the glass.
  8. Remove the string.
  9. Sand the edges.  Be careful!  They will be sharp.
Click on the website to see photos and other information about how to cut glass with yarn and nail polish remover.

Once I get a chance to do this, I will post photos of the results. Have you done this or know someone who has? I would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment